School Reopening 2020-2021
NHCS is operating under Plan B AA/BB schedule.
Health data will be assessed on a continuous basis and updates will be posted as they become available at www.nhcs.net and on NHCS Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms.
NHCS families should verify PowerSchool contact information is current to receive Connect 5 phone, email, and text notifications from their schools and the district.
COVID Information for Parents- October 23, 2020
In an effort to provide you with as much information as possible about Plan B, please read the guidelines set by the NHCHHS concerning your child’s safety and report the following to our school nurse, Laurie Parks, by phone: 251-6100 ext. 74549, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your child has had a close contact exposure with a positive case of COVID.
- If your child has had a positive COVID test within the last 10 days.
- If your child is displaying any of the following COVID symptoms
● Fever of 100.4 or greater
● Shortness of breath / difficulty breathing
● New cough
● New loss of taste or smell
If your child is sent home for symptoms of COVID, we strongly encourage you to seek medical attention.
If your child does not see a doctor to be tested OR if your child tests POSITIVE at the doctor, they must remain out of school for at least 10 days from the onset of symptoms. They may return to school when you can answer yes to the following 3 questions.
- Has it been at least 10 days since your child first showed symptoms?
- Has it been at least 24 hours since your child had a fever without fever reducing medication?
- Has there been symptom improvement?
If your child is seen by a doctor and tests NEGATIVE, they can return to school when
- They have been fever free for 24 hours without medicine.
- They have experienced an improvement in symptoms.
If the doctor does not test your child, but provides a written alternate diagnosis, your child may return to school following normal school policy specific to the diagnosis.
If your child is sent home for exposure to a positive case, they must stay home for 14 days from their last day of exposure. EVEN IF THEY TEST NEGATIVE DURING THIS TIME, THEY MUST COMPLETE THE FULL 14 DAY QUARANTINE.
Upon return to school, you will need to accompany your child to the office with any documentation regarding release from isolation/quarantine or alternate diagnosis. They may not board the bus or be dropped off in the car line on their first morning back from the illness. Please park and walk your child to the front of the school for clearance by school nurse or administration.
Please feel free to call with any questions.
Every student will be required to go through a temperature checking station and be wearing a mask before entering the building.
No student may arrive on campus before 7:30 am.
Students with last names that begin the A-K will come to school on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Students with last names that begin with L-Z will come to school on Thursdays and Fridays.
Some exceptions will be made for ESL and EC students.
All students will participate in remote learning on Wednesdays.
- Every student that rides a New Hanover County School bus must submit a Bus Attestation Form for the 2020-2021 school year. The guidelines and form are linked. They can be printed, signed, and sent to email@example.com.